Thursday, April 28, 2005

Inherent Goodness


Recently the Boston Globe ran an article about Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, the spiritual teacher of Shambala who ran the Boston Marathon this past month. The article caught my eye. I was curious about a Tibetan lama running, getting sweaty and out of breath. It seems like an oxymoron. The running part of the article was interesting, but this quote intrigued me more. "Every human being is born with basic goodness, a quality inherent even in unpleasant individuals. 'An example is the sky," he said. "It's always blue but there can be clouds. Sometimes you think you're a cloud, but in reality, you're the sky. Through meditation, you can stabilize the mind and not be so carried away by your thoughts. What you do in life allows you to bring that basic goodness out."

Ahh, that's what I like, reading things like this. And yet, I know the shifting I have to do inside in order to keep my mind stablized over time and to see the basic goodness in others.

">Link


No comments: